In no particular order... I'm a wife, mother of 3 kids and 3 dogs, author, daughter, sister and stepsister, aunt, friend, Twitter addict, mechanical engineer (currently inactive), inconsistent blogger, Packers fan, two-finger typist, concerned citizen, book-buying enthusiast, reluctant volunteer, minivan driver, pancake flipper, snooze-button hitter, and coupon clipper.
A More Traditional Bio...
Stacy McAnulty is a children’s book author, who used to be a mechanical engineer, who’s also qualified to be a dog therapist (is that a thing???), a correspondent for The Daily Show (why not), and a Green Bay Packer coach (totally!). She has written dozens of books including her debut middle-grade novel, The Miscalculations of Lightning Girl , a Junior Library Guild Selection, and the 2017 Ezra Jack Keats New Writer Honor book Excellent Ed, illustrated by Julia Sarcone-Roach. Her other picture books include Earth! My First 4.54 Billion Years, illustrated by David Litchfield; Max Explains Everything: Grocery Store Expert, illustrated by Deborah Hocking, Brave and Beautiful, both illustrated by Joanne Lew-Vriethoff; Mr. Fuzzbuster Knows He’s the Favorite, illustrated by Edward Hemingway; and 101 Reasons Why I’m Not Taking a Bath, illustrated by Joy Ang. She’s also authored the chapter book series Goldie Blox, based on the award-winning toys, and The Dino Files. When not writing, Stacy likes to listen to NPR, bake triple-chocolate cupcakes, and eat triple-chocolate cupcakes. Originally from upstate NY, she now lives in Kernersville, NC with her 3 kids, 3 dogs, and 1 husband.
Life Before Writing
Before becoming an author, I worked a few traditional 9-to-5 jobs. When interviewed, I often approximate by saying, 'I was a mechanical engineer for a decade.' This statement is definitely an estimate, so in the interest of honesty and accountability here's my non-writing resume. (and probably TMI)
- 1996 - Began year-long internship with EDS at Delphi Harrison/GM. Worked in IT supporting HVAC engineers.
- 1997 - Graduated University at Buffalo with a Mechanical Engineering degree.
- 1997-1998 - Full-time with EDS at Delphi Harrison/GM, still in IT.
- 1998-2002 - Worked as mechanical engineer with B/E Aerospace, designing airline seats.
- 2004-2007 - After a few years home with babies, I returned to B/E Aerospace and designed more first class airline seats.
- 2014 - Worked in engineering for a blink of an eye before completely devoting my career life to writing.
Likes and Dislikes
Things I Love (and I'm keeping family, friends, and food off the list because there wouldn't be room for anything else):
- Funny Picture Books
- Sunday Night TV
- Twitter, Facebook, e-mail
- Stars (as in reviews)
- Trying New Recipes
- Fortunes from Fortune Cookies
- Good Manners
Things I Dislike (and I'm keeping cleaning and chores off the list because there wouldn't be room for anything else):
- Running Late
- Being Sick
- Garlic Breath
- Stepping in Gum
- Telemarketing Calls
- People Who Say Reading Is Boring