In no particular order... I'm a wife, mother of 3 kids and 3 dogs, author, daughter, sister and stepsister, aunt, friend, Twitter addict, mechanical engineer (currently inactive), inconsistent blogger, Packers fan, two-finger typist, concerned citizen, book-buying enthusiast, reluctant volunteer, minivan driver, pancake flipper, snooze-button hitter, and coupon clipper.
A More Traditional Bio...
Stacy McAnulty is a children’s book author, who used to be a mechanical engineer, who’s also qualified to be a paleontologist (NOT REALLY), a correspondent for The Daily Show (why not), and a Green Bay Packer coach (totally!). She is the 2017 Ezra Jack Keats New Writer Honor Recipient for Excellent Ed, illustrated by Julia Sarcone-Roach. Her other picture books include Earth! My First 4.54 Billion Years, illustrated by David Litchfield; Brave and Beautiful, both illustrated by Joanne Lew-Vriethoff; Mr. Fuzzbuster Knows He’s the Favorite, illustrated by Edward Hemingway; and 101 Reasons Why I’m Not Taking a Bath, illustrated by Joy Ang. She’s also authored the chapter book series Goldie Blox, based on the award-winning toys, and The Dino Files. Her debut middle grade novel, The Miscalculations of Lightning Girl, will publish in May 2018. When not writing, Stacy likes to listen to NPR, bake triple-chocolate cupcakes, and eat triple-chocolate cupcakes. Originally from upstate NY, she now lives in Kernersville, NC with her 3 kids, 2 dogs, and 1 husband.
Life Before Writing
Before becoming an author, I worked a few traditional 9-to-5 jobs. When interviewed, I often approximate by saying, 'I was a mechanical engineer for a decade.' This statement is definitely an estimate, so in the interest of honesty and accountability here's my non-writing resume. (and probably TMI)
- 1996 - Began year-long internship with EDS at Delphi Harrison/GM. Worked in IT supporting HVAC engineers.
- 1997 - Graduated University at Buffalo with a Mechanical Engineering degree.
- 1997-1998 - Full-time with EDS at Delphi Harrison/GM, still in IT.
- 1998-2002 - Worked as mechanical engineer with B/E Aerospace, designing airline seats.
- 2004-2007 - After a few years home with babies, I returned to B/E Aerospace and designed more first class airline seats.
- 2014 - Worked in engineering for a blink of an eye before completely devoting my career life to writing.
Likes and Dislikes
Things I Love (and I'm keeping family, friends, and food off the list because there wouldn't be room for anything else):
- Funny Picture Books
- Sunday Night TV
- Twitter, Facebook, e-mail
- Stars (as in reviews)
- Trying New Recipes
- Fortunes from Fortune Cookies
- Good Manners
Things I Dislike (and I'm keeping cleaning and chores off the list because there wouldn't be room for anything else):
- Running Late
- Being Sick
- Garlic Breath
- Stepping in Gum
- Telemarketing Calls
- People Who Say Reading Is Boring