Research Tell Us:
- 72% of girls feel tremendous pressure to be beautiful (Dove Self-Esteem Project)
- Only 11% of girls globally are comfortable describing themselves as ‘beautiful’ (Dove Self-Esteem Project)
- 55%-59% of girls between the ages of six and eight think they need to be thinner. (Common Sense Media Research)
- 53% of thirteen-year-old American girls are "unhappy with their bodies." (National Institute on Media and the Family)
- 78% of seventeen-year-old American girls are "unhappy with their bodies." (National Institute on Media and the Family)
Maybe it's Time to Redefine Beauty:
A confidence driven by what you do and how you feel.
Praise for Beautiful:
Truly a beautiful book. -Elizabeth Bird, SLJ 2016 Books with A Message
Celebrated here for their particularity and their diversity, girls are given the space to find beauty in all kinds of ways. -Kirkus Reviews
The illustrations evoke a feeling of uniqueness, independence, and strength, defining beauty through diversity, talents, and passions. - Melissa Smith, School Library Journal
Illustrated by Joanne Lew-Vriethoff
Beautiful breaks barriers by showing girls free to be themselves: splashing in mud, conducting science experiments, and reading books under a flashlight with friends. This book will encourage all girls to embrace who they are and realize their endless potential.