Oh, how I adore elementary schools. The smell of potato wedges, the squeak of my sneakers on the linoleum tiles, and the bathrooms with their sinks (and toilets) that are just a little too low for me. Not to mention that I'm addicted to school supplies (so hide your crayons).
I'd love to visit your elementary school and talk about writing, reading, and dinosaurs. (I think I was either a paleontologist or a stegosaurus in a past life.) Depending on the age of the audience, I also discuss failure, success, and creativity. And sometimes... there's dancing involved.
- All school visits include two 45-minute presentations, one 30-minute bonus event, and a book signing.
- My 45-minute presentation is interactive and works in an auditorium, media center, or classroom.
- The bonus event can be a small group writing workshop, lunch with the author, reading to pre-K or a special class, or we can brainstorm something unique for your school.
- Kids love getting signed books. A pre-sale arranged through your local bookstore works best.
I also love visiting libraries, middle schools, high schools, book clubs, and air-conditioned summer camps.
And I'm available for Skype visits!
FULL DAY FEE IN NORTH CAROLINA OR VIRGINIA:
$500 plus travel
TRAVEL EXPENSE WITHIN NC OR VIRGINIA: Calculated from 27284
100 miles round trip: $0
101-420 miles round trip: $0.50/mile
Over 421 miles round trip: $.50/mile and hotel and meals
FULL DAY FEE OUT-OF-STATE:
First Day: $800 plus Travel
Additional Days: $500 (Days can be shared between schools)
Out-of-State Travel: airfare, hotels, meals
20-MINUTE SKYPE VISIT:
Intended for a class that has read one of my books.
15-MINUTE SKYPE VISIT:
Intended for a single class.
45-MINUTE SKYPE PRESENTATION:
Thirty-minute presentation and fifteen-minute Q&A: $100
Up to 100 students. Get a free Skype Presentation with a bulk-book purchase of 50 or more. Availability limited.
CONFERENCES AND WORKSHOPS:
Please email me to discuss.
I like to talk to adults too. I'm available to speak on a panel or to lead a workshop.
- My presentation, Engineering a Picture Book, shows writers how they can take an idea from "art to part" using the design cycle.
- I can share my first-hand knowledge about writing picture books, finding an agent, and getting published. There is so much that books and websites don't tell you, but I will.